Leg 2 Wrap Up

Cradle: Todd & I are home for a few days to relax & practice up for playing two afternoons at The Purple Fiddle in Thomas, WV this Saturday & Sunday. We absolutely adore the Fiddle & can’t wait to come back to the stage after playing there last fall. But more on that after the weekend…If you’re a good-news-first kind of person, continue reading, but if you’re a hit-me-with-the-bad-news, skip a few paragraphs then come back.
The Good: Tuesday night after putting new tires on the Acura, napping in the car & hanging out in a Wal-Mart parking lot to kill time, we arrived in Canton to set up at Buzzbin. It was at the end of a fairly busy street with bustling restaurants like the waffle, coffee, & beer shop, an upscale bistro & lots of outdoor seating for happy locals. We walked up to the bar & were greeted by Amanda- bartender, sound girl, & altogether cheery, genuine person who told us where to set up & how the night was going to work. We got our gear on the stage, set up our merch table, & settled in at the bar for our band-privileged $1 cans of Genesee Beers. The locals were friendly, the other bartender Jessica was great, & the other two acts with whom we shared the billing were fantastic. (Check out Cass Cwik & Darian Bobish) Even for it being a slow Tuesday night, there was a decent crowd; some guy in a Hummer even stopped outside on the street to listen to Todd & me.
Before we headed home, the girls fixed us up a six-pack of Genesee with our payout for the night. On our way back down I-77, I could no longer keep my eyes open to drive, so 35 miles from home, we pulled into a rest area for a “nap” that lasted from about 1:30-5:30am. Mr. Stubbe took over the wheel & we continued our sleep once we returned to the comfort of our loft & the company of our sweet cats.
The Bad, which really wasn’t so bad, but certainly not ideal: We left home around 5:30pm Wednesday to get to Somewhere Else bar on W Main Street in Newark. We arrived at the venue, checked to see if we could go ahead & set up, but it wasn’t yet open. So we went downtown a bit further to the Draft House for a little dinner & a drink. We were so pleasantly surprised by the throw-back atmosphere: I loved the fact that they were playing Dean Martin, Todd liked the $1.50 drafts. We then caught up with Cody & Ash of the Rescue Rangers (awesome duo we were sharing the three hour set with) to see if we were able to get into Somewhere Else yet. Todd even contacted the owner & the booking guy to see when we’d be able to get in, but the only response we got was that the owner parked his car in a lot across the street. & so we waited. The four of us went into the bar next to Somewhere Else, & there we got the story. Apparently, it wasn’t unusual for bands to be left in the lurch with either a late opening or a complete no-show by the owner. So we all sat down & had a beer together & hoped with little hope really that we were going to still get to play that night.
Somewhere Else was a bust, & it’s a shame because we were looking forward to sharing the night with the Rescue Rangers & of course rounding out our Ohio leg with another good set. But Todd & I certainly made our own fun on the way home by spending the last 30 or so miles singing & rapping absolutely everything instead of speaking normally. It was nice to be home at a decent hour to watch Princess Bride & start off another day of our awesome marriage & this #LoveSweetSummer.

1 comment

  • Kathy


    Obviously, somewhere else is where you should be besides there!

    Obviously, somewhere else is where you should be besides there!

Add comment